1 organic firm tofu package
1 tbsp (15ml) sesame oil
1 tsp (5 ml) cumin seeds, toasted
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/4 tsp (1ml) chili flakes
2-3 tbsp (30-45ml) cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp (15ml) green onion, thinly sliced
4 tbsp (60ml) hoisin sauce
1 tbsp (15ml) fresh lime juice Kosher salt Freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp (15ml) toasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp (15ml) black sesame seeds
- Open package of tofu, cut into 1/2” thick slices.
- Lay out onto paper towel for 10-15 min to absorb the moisture, turning tofu over once.
- Salt and pepper both sides of tofu.
- Heat large frying pan over medium high heat.
- Add sesame oil, fry the garlic until fragrant, remove garlic from pan and set aside.
- Coat the pan evenly with the sesame oil, and add the tofu steaks.
- Cook the tofu for about 5-7 mins on each side, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, mix the remaining ingredients together.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top each of the pieces of tofu with a spoonful of the mixture while tofu is still in the pan.
- Let sit for 2 minutes or until the topping is slightly warmed.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve.
- (Can be cooked and kept refrigerated. Can be reheated or served at room temperature)